The team had an incredible trip to the Snowy Mountains where we snow camped, snowshoed (hiking in snow) & took to the slopes. We learned about back-country skiing from Lachlan Humphries and splitboarding as well as enjoying skiing and snowboarding.
It was one of the best trips I've ever had and proof of the unexpected adventure you can have and that there is good snow in New South Wales! More details in the Word of Mouth Guide NSW.
Our top tips for traveling to the Snowy Mountains and having a successful trip:
- Get a great team together and take several cars as it makes the journey up more fun
- There are lots of options for accommodation we found the Kosciuszko Tourist Park was a great option for cheap cabins that are close to both Perisher and Thredbo
- Don't just think about skiing or snowboarding, we would really recommend hiring snowshoes and hiking. There are some amazing walks at all times of the year and we even snow camped which was an incredible experience. The skiing is really fun but if you still want fun and you're not good at skiing, for example, snowshoeing is an awesome option.
- There are some amazing food places, I feel like skiing is a real cheat food place as your exercising all day so go for your life with big yummy meals and hot choccies. There are some awesome restaurants in Jindabyne, including this place which is wicked and you can cook your own steak, check out Brumby Bar & Grill!
- There are some pretty cool festivals and apres ski events so check out online, there's a lot going on over the winter months such as Split boarding festivals and more. We also give a lot of our top tips in the Word of Mouth Guide NSW.
- There's a lot of places to hire ski gear so it doesn't have to be expensive and there's a lot of great options!